World Ocean Day8 June is World Ocean Day and you can join Project AWARE Foundation in celebrating our ocean planet and the personal connection divers have to the sea. Conceived in 1992 during the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, World Ocean Day is the perfect opportunity to recognize the importance of the underwater world.
Whether you live at the water’s edge or far from the sea – your everyday actions can affect the 70 percent of the planet covered by water. From the food we eat to the air we breathe, the oceans shape our lives.
The world ocean faces serious threats including over-fishing, pollution and habitat degradation. What can you do this World Ocean Day?
- Change Your Perspective – As a diver, think about the escape and adventure the ocean provides. What does it mean to you and how would you like it to be for future generations?
- Learn – Discover how you’re connected to the ocean and how it affects your life. Learn about the diversity of the sea and how to protect it.
- Change Your Ways – No matter where you live or what you do, your actions are carried downstream. Making small efforts in your home and community contributes to ocean conservation.
- Celebrate – Take time to organize or volunteer for environmental events that protect and celebrate the ocean.
- Donate– Join the Project AWARE Foundation. Your support helps conserve underwater environments from inland waters to the ocean floor.